Falling sick during travel, especially abroad, is a significant inconvenience. It can result from weather changes, travel fatigue, jet lag, or unfamiliar food. In the worst-case scenarios, especially when you’re injured or immobile, seeking medical assistance can be even more challenging.
If you’re planning a trip to Thailand, it’s a wise choice to ensure you have comprehensive travel insurance for Thailand to provide financial and medical support in case of illness or emergencies while abroad.
What To Do If You Get Sick While Travelling Abroad
Here are crucial actions to take if you become ill or are hurt while travelling abroad:
- Get In Touch With The Indian Embassy: Dial the local Indian Embassy when you are ill or hurt. Although they might not offer you direct assistance, they will provide you with a list of nearby healthcare professionals and network hospitals. The Indian Embassy can assist you in contacting your family or friends back home if you are suffering from a severe illness.
- Contact Your Travel Insurance Provider: If you were wise enough to purchase international travel insurance online, you should contact your insurer if you become ill or are hurt while travelling. You’ll receive instructions from the insurer on how to get access to quality medical care in the new nation. Additionally, they might advise you to seek appropriate medical care from any healthcare professionals in their network.
Steps To Take Before Departing On Your Trip
- Purchase Travel Insurance: The first step in planning an international trip is to purchase travel insurance online. Every circumstance necessitates a travel insurance plan, whether you’re taking a family vacation, a leisurely trip alone, a business trip, or an extended study abroad programme.
Travel health insurance provides financial and medical security during illness while travelling. Comprehensive plans offer extensive medical coverage, including benefits like medical evacuation, accidental passing away, and repatriation. *
Flight travel insurance plans cover various scenarios, such as trip cancellation, baggage issues, passport loss, personal liability, hijack assistance, etc. Claims are subject to terms and conditions set forth under the travel insurance policy. *
- Verify Existing Travel Insurance Coverage: If you already havec, check your policy documents or contact the insurer to find out what medical care is covered. Make sure you have separate business travel insurance if you are travelling for work. However, you can purchase travel insurance online if your travel insurance policy does not provide medical coverage.
- Carry Your Medical Records: Bring a copy of your medical records when travelling abroad if you have a pre-existing condition or a specific medical issue, such as heart disease, asthma, an allergy, kidney disease, etc. Keep a record of your blood type, previous surgeries, etc.
- Pack Some Medications: Prepare some medications if you anticipate any common or severe health issues that may arise while travelling. You could keep first aid supplies, cold and flu remedies, headaches, fever, and stomach aches.
If you’re travlling from the USA, it’s crucial to ensure that you have adequate travel insurance for USA coverage to provide financial and medical security in case you fall sick when abroad.
*Standard T&C Apply
Insurance is the subject matter of solicitation. For more details on benefits, exclusions, limitations, terms, and conditions, please read the sales brochure/policy wording carefully before concluding a sale.